Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Breaking and Fixing my Asus Transformer Prime (TF201) LCD Screen (Part 2)

Now... continuing where I have left off.

I waited for my new LCD screen and it finally came after about 1 week plus.

Immediately that night, I could not resist but to attempt to fix it.

Opening up the item, I met my first obstacle. On the surface of the screen, it was scribbled using a permanent marker "TF201"! This is bad, but at least I think can be rub away. Putting some plain water on a piece of cloth to rub it would not remove it. It smeared a little further, but never really removed. The more I tried to wipe, I start to see minor scratches on the surface. I cannot continue doing this. Cannot afford to ruin even my replacement.

So I googled up and try reading up how to remove stain. There were many suggestions on the web. Some suggested I use minyak kapak (some kind of medicated ointment). Unfortunately, there were none in my house... or at least do not know where it was. Then a good suggestion came up: try using a cheap perfume. I think I have that! So I look for underused fragrant and sprayed on my cloth. Wiped the surface and voila! It is gone! :)

Now, following some video to take apart the tablet again... and this time continue watching until I have to remove the LCD screen (previously I stopped once I separated the screen from the back of my tablet).

To cut a long story short, I have manage to install the new screen back perfectly! :)... well, perfect except I may have a speck of dust here and there between the LCD and the glass. But not gonna risk opening it up again.

Now... the unexpected: Some portion of my screen were not responsive! :(. Why so much trouble!!!

So after using the tablet for about a week, I can't stand the sub-standard usage of my tablet, I decided to test if it was really a hardware problem. So I tested with two apps from google play.

An app that tested with finer dots. See all the black area without dots? Those were the none responsive parts
Another app. This one uses larger box. Still the same area that is black are those not responding. :(

So after testing, it looked like I need to pry open my tablet again.

Before I open up my tablet again, I decided to do some research. My guess was that the ribbon connector was not properly inserted. It was really difficult inserting them, and I guess maybe it was not good enough. Prayed that it isn't some hardware damage again. :(

Once I had a little assurance that it could be a problem (I have no idea now where was it that say so, but info were scarce and this was only a single comment in xda forum). I open it up again and try to push the ribbon onto the port as deep as I can.

Then when I have inserted, tested... and thank God it is now working as it should! Phew! :)

Now the fine dots are evenly distributed.


Even here, it is so. Did not cover every dots as this was enough proof that every area is responsive.

What an ordeal! hehehhe... so the lesson learned: If it is not broken, don't fix it.

But well... the GPS was broken (by design flaw)... hehehehhe.

No comments:

Post a Comment